Paul J. Leahy, MD, FACS
Monarch Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Leahy grew up in the Kansas City area and comes from three generations of physicians. He attended Rockhurst High School, and received an undergraduate degree from the University of Kansas and a graduate degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He then completed medical school at the University of Kansas Medical Center and remained there for a six-year residency in plastic surgery. He is married and has two sons.
Along with Monarch’s team of doctors, nurses, aestheticians, and support staff, Dr. Leahy can provide care in all aspects of cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Cosmetic procedures that are particularly interesting to him include breast augmentation & breast lift, tummy tuck & liposuction, and a variety of in-office procedures (local anesthesia) such as eyelid & facial rejuvenation (Monarch Mini-FaceLift).
The reconstructive procedures that Dr. Leahy finds most rewarding are breast reconstruction after cancer, managing skin cancer defects of the face, and facial fractures. Surgery of the hand is also a significant portion of Dr. Leahy’s practice such as traumatic injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, and Dupuytren’s disease (contraction of the palm and fingers).
Dr. Leahy is known for having a very personal and comforting style. He will take time to help you understand your problem, along with the pros and cons of each treatment option in order to best meet your goals.
Get to know Dr. Paul Leahy, one of the surgeons at Monarch Plastic Surgery, In this video, he introduces the practice and its mission. He talks about his own passion for plastic surgery and how it makes a positive impact on people’s lives.
Check out a real patient testimonial! This patient had abdominoplasty and liposuction (tummy tuck) with Dr. Leahy and she also happens to be a nurse. She gives her perspective on the entire experience!
Dr. Paul Leahy, one of the surgeons at Monarch Plastic Surgery, discusses the different breast implant technologies. The two common breast implant options include saline-filled and the newer cohesive-silicone filled (aka “gummy bear”) implants. In the fall of 2021, the FDA released a summary of items that all patients considering breast implants should review and discuss with their surgeon. It’s called the “Patient Decision Checklist” (PDC), and here is a version of that document: Sientra PDC
Dr. Leahy explains the pros and cons of each implant, how they’re made, how durable they are, how long they last, and how to determine which one is best for each patient.
Dr. Paul Leahy, one of the surgeons at Monarch Plastic Surgery, discusses the different breast procedures available to patients. He explains the process of each procedure, the procedure’s risk and benefits, patient recovery times, and patient satisfaction.
Certifications and Affiliations:
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Active Member
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Active Member
- Kansas City Plastic Surgery Society, President (2012), Treasurer (2011)
- Clinical Instructor, University of Kansas School of Medicine – Dept. of Plastic Surgery
- Author of peer-reviewed journal articles in: Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Clinics in Plastic Surgery, and The Aesthetic Surgery Journal
Education and Training:
- The University of Kansas: Bachelor of Arts
- The University of Missouri-Kansas City: Master of Arts
- The University of Kansas Medical Center: Doctor of Medicine
- The University of Kansas School of Medicine: Resident in Plastic Surgery
- “Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Kansas City” 2022 (The Pitch KC)
- “Super Doctor” in Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery: 2014 – 2017
- Castle Connolly “Top Doctor” 2017-2022
- One of “KC’s Best Plastic Surgeons” in KC Magazine: 2017-2023
- Voted one of “3 Best Plastic Surgeons in KC” (3 Best Rated)
- Voted into RealSelf Hall of Fame – Top 500 Plastic Surgeons
- “Who Is Qualified To Do Your Procedure?” – Episode 56 of “Plastic Surgery Decoded“
Video Resources (2017):
- What To Expect – https://youtu.be/FW17vko7_w0
- Facelift – https://youtu.be/Mb8pBtvFlCY
- Breast Reduction – https://youtu.be/i_6xCgoLZmY
- Tummy Tuck & Liposuction – https://youtu.be/dPH0QvSsb70
- Breast Augmentation – https://youtu.be/6Sin3pnkzyU
Surgical Consent Forms:
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Implant – Patient Decision Checklist: Sientra PDC